Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Came across an old but interesting article on how blogs are really helping out when it comes to marketing and communication for small businesses.

This article makes me think of the Turkish proverb “a small key opens big doors”. Blogging is a small but showing to be an effective tool regardless of size. Some even feel that blogs are better suited for small businesses than they are big ones! who would have known!!

Big businesses are always great at throwing money into glossy advertising and marketing campaigns yet with blogging it is almost as if it has created an equal playing feild for the small and big business considering that now everyone has access to the same data.

Food for thought I guess... but I'm convinced.
If your not, have a wee read at this article from the SanFrancisco Chronicle they've even mentioned a few small business bloggers that I also found and have contacted for my interviews.

1 Comments:

At August 09, 2006 12:15 AM, Blogger Bruce Ross said...

Congratulations on your blog, corhona. It's a very interesting initiative which is itself illustrative of the way in which blogging is producing change in the way we communicate and share information.

I really like your coinage - "Blogolution" - it's brilliant.

Thank you for the opportunity to participate in your survey of small business bloggers. While I found it hard to find time to respond, the exercise was very worthwhile in helping to clarify for me why I am blogging and how I should be going about it. In reflecting after completing the survey I realised that my own blog MyoQuip Blog was much too structured in that it largely consisted of fairly long formal articles that take considerable time to prepare. As a result I have not been posting very frequently.

This in a sense was defeating the purpose of using a blog for promoting a business. I was not getting the company name and message in front of people often enough and the blog and our main website were becoming too much like clones of one another.

I still believe that the considered, reflective articles belong on the blog because hopefully they help to create the impression that ours is an authority site. However individual posts soon disappear from view because of the tyranny of chronology - they are very soon pushed into the archives. Thus the permanent home for the major pieces is the main corporate site where the more important material can be permanently featured.

However I have also started to post short commentaries to the blog as a means of increasing its visibility.

It will be interesting, corhona, to see whether you continue this blog after you submit your dissertation. Who knows, you might find that this is a fruitful area for you to establish a consultancy.

Good luck and a piece of advice. Make sure you use a spell check before submitting your dissertation. As an ex-academic I know that not all examiners appreciate creative spelling.

Regards
Bruce

 

Post a Comment

<< Home